Thursday, July 4, 2013

Sell or be Sold

(I wrote this post months and months ago...it just never got posted!)

I love the Ricola commercial.  I don't know if it is the Ricola song or the background, but it makes me want to be a part of the Ricola movement.  A movement? Yes, a movement...for me at least.

I come from a Mother who happens to be very persuasive.  She vehemently believes in Diet Sierra Mist, exercise for therapy, gargling with salt water, well-behaved dogs, sorting clothes before washing, her microplane zester, her lemon juicer, and the list goes on.  Here is the kicker-the things that she markets must be proven to be effective.  She sort of has her own FDA system.  She can tell you all about her method or product that she would live and die by.  I love this about her because she also believes in me.  Note to you: don't mess with me-she will take you out-BIGtime.

"Where is Ginger going with this?"  I put that in quotes because I know you just asked yourself that question.  I love to sell and I love to be sold...just like Mama!   However, I am hard to persuade if you don't have a good case.  For as long as I can remember I have wanted to like Ricola.  I have been trying to sell myself on Ricola for a long time.  My tastebuds have been in direct opposition of this sales pitch which is very annoying.

Guess what?  A few months back my tastebuds gave in and we now LOVE Ricola!!!  The smart folks over at Ricola created some delicious combinations involving honey.  I can now proudly purchase bags of Ricola drops and not feel guilty for wasting $2.94 on a pretty bag.  Yes, I used to purchase the Ricola cough drops because I found the bag irresistible.

Monday around 2:30 my throat revolted against any calm or pleasant feeling I had in my body.  It felt like I was healing from a tonsil piercing.  My mother was in town and suggested that I (forced me to)-you guessed it-gargle with salt water.  I did.  That didn't help.  I painted/sprayed my throat with Chloraseptic which was NO treat for the ole palate.  That didn't help.  After writhing in pain all the way down Lookout Mountain my Mother suggested that I call the doctor and beg for an appointment.  This is another thing I learned from her.  If someone tells you no it means you didn't explain yourself appropriately.  We give lots of detail in situations like this.  After visiting the doctor I went to the pharmacy to pick up some cough drops.

As I approached MY Ricola cough drops I noticed a bewildered man pacing in front of the cough drops.  Since I know the feeling of utter confusion when faced with this important decision, I asked if I could be of assistance. The man told me that he was in town visiting and that his child had fallen ill.  They needed cough drops.  I would also like to say that he was oddly confused by the concept of a cough drop.  Yet another note, we were dealing with an intense language barrier.  I was immediately torn between my old standby, Luden's, and my new love, Ricola.  I decided that I needed to tell this perplexed stranger about my study on cough drops.  I asked the age of his child and whether he or she could be trusted with a hard cough drop.  He said yes.  I am proud to report that he left with not one but two bags of Ricola after hearing the pros and cons on the whole lot of cough drops.  I would still say that cherry Luden's are a wonderful treat for any tot...or adult for that matter.

I am my mother's daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment